When suffering from hair loss, it’s beneficial to look after and care for your scalp with a gentle yet effective scalp shampoo (available in your hyper-personalised SalonLab&Me product regime). Learn how to care for temporary hair loss below.
Wil Fleeson is a renowned trichologist (hair & scalp expert), member of the Association of Registered Trichologists and founder of Trichology Scotland with over 20 years of experience in the hairdressing industry. We asked him for his tips on how to minimise hair loss.
What are the two types of hair loss?
- Autoimmune related hair loss – where the tissue of the scalp is under attack from the body’s own immune system
- Androgenetic related hair loss – which is a genetically predetermined disorder where hair sheds at a fast rate and can start any time after puberty. Contributing factor for androgenetic alopecia may also be nutrient deficiencies, medications, infections, and stress. In these cases, counteracting these influences might alleviate the hair loss symptoms. Other than the autoimmune-related hair loss, androgenic hair loss can be positively influenced with cosmetic products.
"A normal shedding rate should be 75 to 100 hairs a day."
What are the signs of androgenetic hair loss?
Androgenetic hair loss, also known as male-pattern and female-pattern baldness, occurs in up to half of the population. It typically starts with thinning of the hair and then progresses gradually.
How can I care for my scalp during an excessive hair shedding phase?
- Reversible hair loss can be addressed with a suitable haircare regime following an in-salon diagnosis
- To effectively care for your scalp, invest in one of our SalonLab&Me hyper-personalised product regimes. Our scalp shampoos gently cleanse and feature Microbiome Active to support the scalp’s microbiome balance to improve your scalp condition
- Keep balanced dietary nutrition in mind. Healthy foods, rich in antioxidants and vitamins, as well as balanced protein intake are beneficial
- Make time at home for some haircare selfcare to de-stress the mind and body
Interested in more scalp care tips?
Explore the rest of our Professional Tips for scalp health and learn how to best care for different scalp conditions using our SalonLab&Me products.