It’s no secret that heat-based styling tools can cause damage to your hair, yet it has always proven difficult to achieve those perfect waves without using heat! The heatless curls trend has been sweeping the internet with simple ways to curl your hair without using hot tools – helping you to maintain healthy hair and give your hair a break from styling damage.
Discover the most effective tips and techniques to achieve natural heatless curls from our in-house experts!
How can I achieve heatless curls? And who are they best suited for?
Heatless hair rollers and curlers are specifically designed to work their magic without exposing your hair to heat. They are suitable for anyone who wishes to avoid subsequent damage that comes with repeatedly using hot styling tools, such as a curling or flat iron.
Do they really work?
The final effect depends a lot on your hair texture and the look you want to achieve. For example, on naturally curly or textured hair it will be more difficult to achieve smooth waves with a satin wand curling method, but it may help to define the curls and minimise frizz and flyaways.
"Create beautiful heatless curls with no damage to your hair."
Can you create heatless curls on dry or damp hair?
Slightly damp or dry hair provides the best base for creating heatless curls.
Are heatless curls better for your hair? What are the benefits?
The main benefit of heatless curls is no heat damage! There are also many techniques to choose from, so you can choose the best technique for you and your hair.
Are there any disadvantages to heatless curls?
They will work differently on different hair types; therefore, some methods may not be as effective for some people, such as those with naturally curly or textured hair.
Tutorial: Lazy Headband Curls
If you are looking for a simple tutorial that doesn’t require multiple clips and pins, this technique is perfect for you and only requires a single headband:
- Place your headband around your head, divide your hair into two sections and dampen your hair with a texture spray. This step will help to lock in the shape of your curls.
- Brush or comb through your hair if needed to remove any knots or tangles.
- Take small sections of hair and twist each section away from your face wrapping over and under the headband. Make sure to tuck the ends in properly to achieve the desired shape.
- Start with the front sections of your hair and work your way towards the back of your head, making sure that each section is secured and there are no loose strands left.
- Allow your hair to set whilst you get a good night’s sleep and let the magic happen!
- In the morning, gently remove your headband and make sure to use your fingers or a wide comb to detangle and give your curls a more relaxed finish – avoid using a brush as this can make your hair frizzy.
- Apply a flexible hold hairspray for bouncy curls all day long!
Additional tips to make your curls last longer:
1. Shampoo and condition first
Prepare the hair by using your SalonLab&Me light shampoo and conditioner for longer lasting curls.
2. Blow-dry the hair
Blow-drying your hair before applying a heatless curl technique can help you achieve more voluminous texture – this helps to set the curls for longer.
3. Reduce friction
Using a silk pillowcase or silk hair wrap helps protect the hair from moisture loss, keeping your hair healthy and reducing frizz.
There are many other popular techniques that you can try for creating heatless curls for fine, flat, curly, or textured hair such as:
- Wave Curlers
- Cube Curlers
- Sock Curls
- Robe Curls
- Heatless Curling Rod Headband
And many more!
Not every heatless curl technique will work for everyone, however, try to be patient as it’s simply a matter of trial and error.
Depending on personal preference, the length and natural texture of your hair, coupled with its ability to hold the curls, you may find that some heatless curling methods work better than others.
Most importantly, you’ll be preventing heat damage and creating healthier and more manageable hair in the long run!
Enter our world of wellness beyond just haircare and discover a variety of ways to look and feel your absolute best – because how you feel on the inside is just as important as how you look on the outside.