Caring for your scalp is just as important as caring for your skin. Learn how incorporating effective cleansing haircare into your regular selfcare routine, with a personalised SalonLab&Me sulphate-free scalp shampoo, can help to care for and manage your oily scalp.
Wil Fleeson is a renowned trichologist (hair & scalp expert), member of the Association of Registered Trichologists and founder of Trichology Scotland with over 20 years of experience in the hairdressing industry. We asked him for his tips on how best to care for an oily scalp.
What influences an oily scalp?
- Hormones are often a contributing factor
- Stress can impact the hormone status in our body and an imbalance has an impact on the production of oil, making hair appear greasy and limp
- If we wash our hair too frequently, we wear down a external protective layer on the scalp called the Acid Mantle. In response, our body secretes more oil to help recreate the skin tissue for the external protective layer
- Side effects of some medications
- Imbalance in the scalp microbiome
"Hormone imbalance can be very common."
What are the symptoms of an oily scalp?
If your hair feels greasy after 24 hours, and is particularly visible at the crown of your head, you are likely to be experiencing increased oil production. Unwashed hair should not look damp or greasy after a short period of time, if your body’s natural sebum production is regulated and normal.
What changes should I make to improve my scalp condition?
- Wash frequency should be adapted to your scalp's oil production. Regular hair washing helps to improve the scalp and hair condition.
- Depending on your scalp goal, our shampoos gently cleanse and soothe the scalp by using ingredients like Allantoin and Bisabolol
- De-stress at home with some selfcare for your hair, you can even select the fragrance in your SalonLab&Me products for a personal sensorial experience
Want to discover more scalp care tips?
Check out the rest of our Professional Tips for scalp health to improve your scalp condition and create a healthy foundation for beautiful hair.